Thursday, July 31, 2014

Miso Chocolate Bread (Panasonic Bread Maker & Singapore Blog Awards)

If you came to my place, I’d tell you ‘oh no, don’t take those miso chocolate buns. They’re not good.’

Why would you want them? Don’t waste the calories. Just leave them there. I’ll get rid of them later.


I’ll get rid of them, down my contracting esophagus and into the ever churning abyss that is my stomach. But before that, I’ll pull them apart and feel the soft webs of baked gluten. I’ll see the molten chocolate flowing out the centre, then savour it, slowly, appreciating the backdrop of miso.


Like mushrooms and parmesan. Like the scent of freshly plowed dirt planted with crops ready to bear fruit. Like freshly sliced tuna, upon a bed of rice, sandwiching a pat of wasabi. Miso engages the umami taste receptors.


Umami is the strange meatiness in mushrooms, the earthy fragrance in the forest, the sharp yet warm dissolution of soy sauce on your tongue.

And it nurtures, the miso like a parent to the slightly sweet, bitter chocolate. Subtle notes of blackberry, butter, brown butter, mint, coffee, pepper, even wine or ash… They  scatter themselves around the still liquid chocolate. Complex, yet, not complicated enough to muddle the brain.

It’s just a step below the miso in its number of layers, like a child growing in its parent.

like parent like child - mini bun with bigger bun :)

Believe me when I say this, the above was really what popped into my mind when I took a bite of the buns I had just made. Perhaps the stars had aligned and provided me some inspiration to fulfill the parent/child theme.

I’m just secretly hoping it was stretching the theme too much :P

Chocolate Miso Buns
Ingredients:
256g (2 cups) bread flour
1 tablespoon honey
76g (5tablespoons) shiro miso
17g (1 tablespoon) vegetable oil
125 ml water

1 teaspoon instant yeast

¾ cup chocolate chips

Milk
Black or white sesame seeds

Method:
1.       Place bread flour, honet, miso, vegetable oil and water in the bread pan of the bread maker.
2.       Place instant yeast in the yeast dispenser.
3.       Select menu option 9.
4.       Press ‘Start’.
5.       Once you hear the beep, the dough is done.
6.       On a lightly floured work surface, divide the dough into 12 equal pieces.
7.       Wrap 1 tablespoon of chocolate chips in each piece of dough.
8.       Dip in milk then in sesame seeds to coat.
9.       Repeat for all the pieces of dough.
10.   Place on a greased baking sheet and allow to rise for 1 hour.
11.   15 minutes before the 1 hour is up, preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius or 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
12.   Bake buns for 17 minutes.
13.   Cool slightly before removing and attempting to devour :D

Check out Panasonic’s official website for more details on the bread maker.

Take a look at my blogfacebook page and instagram too, if you’re interested :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,
    This is the second time we contacted you about your blog and this is just a follow up. If this message disturbs you, I apologize. I will make sure that this would be my last message that regards to our project.
    We MyTaste.com, one of the biggest recipe search engines in the world, would like to give you an opportunity to add your food blog to the Top Food Blog list, have your recipes indexed on our site and make your recipes available to many people.

    If you want to JOIN TOP FOOD BLOGS, add your blog's URL here>>>
    http://www.mytaste.com/top-food-blogs

    This is one of many ways to share your recipes to the world and it can also help you to increase your blog traffic. EXPOSE YOUR BLOG!!
    For any questions: info@mytaste.com
    -Ricky

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...