Sunday, July 6, 2014

Cinnamon Blueberry Ice Cream & impulsive buying

I have to tell everyone a thing or two about impulsive buying. I’m sure most of us have this problem. You know, when you walk into the clothing store and see something on 50%, or maybe 30 or 15, off. You think ‘oh what a great deal’, ‘it’s so cheap’ and buy it without thinking about whether or not you’re going to wear it often.


Or perhaps it’s the pretty notebook in the bookstore. Or a cookbook. Maybe it’s a home appliance you have no need for.

Maybe, just maybe, it’s the four boxes of blueberries you found for ‘BUY 1, GET 3 FREE’ in one supermarket and just below $3 in another.

Let me explain myself. There’s a perfectly good reason for this.

Blueberries, and their other berry friends, are very berry expensive in Singapore. I’m talking twice or thrice (or do I actually mean 4 times) the price of berries in the US, France or UK. Did I mention before that I found an avocado half the size of my head for just 4 USD? But that’s beside the point. Rarely, and I mean RARELY, does one find a box of blueberries below 4 dollars in Singapore. That’s a 125g box, by the way.


This time, the blueberries were less than 3 dollars in Fairprice. Of course, I snapped up a few boxes. Blueberry muffins, I told myself. Blueberry cookies, I told myself. Then I made my way down to Cold Storage. And I saw…

BUY 1, GET 3 FREE

For just $8.99.

I checked thrice to make sure that the sign wasn’t in the wrong place. Then I shrieked with joy and told a random shopper next to me ‘OMG can you believe this? It’s like, only 2 dollars and 25 cents per box!!’ I’m sure she was scared of me because she turned around and walked off without saying anything.

So of course, I got 4 boxes.


So, maybe 6 boxes weren’t that bad. So maybe… my aunt coming around and giving us another 4 boxes wasn’t that bad. So maybe… the fact that we were flying off the US for 10 days two days later wasn’t that bad.

It was that bad. We had 14 boxes sitting in the fridge. 14 boxes on the morning we were supposed to fly off. 14 boxes we had to chuck into the freezer. I could have cried.

But don’t cry because that’s how I ended up making this smooth, luscious ice cream, warm from cinnamon and cool from… being ice cream? Reminiscent of the summer from blueberries (their season is in the summer, right?) and winter from Christmas-y cinnamon.

to all my readers,
I'm one of the finalists for the Singapore Blog Awards Advertiser's Choice! Voting begins tomorrow so do support me :)

http://sgblogawards.omy.sg/2014/vote/advertisers-choice.html

Cinnamon Blueberry Ice Cream
Ingredients:
4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
1/3 cup water
¼ teaspoons salt

1 cup whipping cream

1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
2 tablespoons (16g) plain flour
4 cups (920ml or grams) milk

5 egg yolks, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

3 cups whipping cream

Method:
1.      Combine blueberries, ½ cup of sugar, water and salt in a small saucepan.
2.      Bring to a boil over medium heat, mashing blueberries and stirring with a fork.
3.      Simmer for another 5 minutes, uncovered, then remove from heat and cool slightly.
4.      Remove a cup of the mixture and set aside.
5.      Blend the rest of the mixture until smooth.
6.      Sieve the blended mixture, then stir in 1 cup of whipping cream and the reserved cup of blueberries.
7.      Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.

8.      Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, stir together 1 cup of sugar and flour.
9.      Add milk gradually while whisking, ensuring it’s smooth.
10.   Cook over medium heat until thickened and blubbly, about 10 minutes.
11.   Cook for another minute.
12.   Slowly add about a cup of the heated milk mixture into the 4 beaten egg yolks while whisking.
13.   Stir the egg yolk mixture back into the pot with the milk mixture.
14.   Cook and stir the mixture over medium heat until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon such that when you draw a line across the spoon with your finger, it holds.
15.   Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla and cinnamon.
16.   Cover the surface with plastic wrap so a skin does not form.
17.   Chill for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.

18.   When ready to freeze ice cream, whip the 3 cups of whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
19.   Gently fold whip cream into chilled milk and egg mixture.
20.   Freeze according to manufacturer’s directions in your ice cream maker.
21.   Use a stiff spatula to fold in blueberry mixture.
22.   Serve immediately or transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze to store.

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...