Singapore Blog Awards!

Hi everyone!

First of all, thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog and this message.

I'M ONE OF THE FINALISTS FOR THE SINGAPORE BLOG AWARDS

under the Advertiser's Choice, best cooking blog category :) It would be fantastic if you all could spare me a few minutes everyday to just vote for me at this link:


Yup yup, you can vote everyday and don't worry, it's perfectly secure. You don't have to be Singaporean to vote, so my dear readers from overseas, you can participate too!

Thanks guys :))

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Orange Sorbet

Thanks to Chinese New Year (which was about a month ago), the fridge in my home was full of oranges. And by full, I mean two crisper drawers were filled to the brim with mandarin oranges. As much as I loved apples, I never had that many at once.


Most of the oranges were nice, sweet, juicy ones that my parents bought by the case. Perhaps that’s normal in other countries, but in Singapore, no one buys oranges by the case. Except at Chinese New Year. A small minority of the oranges were, however, shriveled and dry and sour and pucker-y.

Now, just like anyone out there who has a fridge full of oranges (is there?!), I was hell bent on getting rid of them. And fast. There was no way I was going to spend the next 40 days of my life eating one orange a day. I’d much rather have an apple a day – that keeps the doctor away (no such thing has been said of orange).


I thought I was being smart by turning the oranges into sorbet, but I guess before long I was to learn my lesson.

Pulverized mandarin oranges are bitter.

It was a little dense of me to not realize earlier. My dad had attempted making a sweet mandarin orange sauce for duck and it had turned out bitter for no good reason. My ice cream turned out really bitter, for no good reason as well.


It was unfortunate. But luckily, I had a carton of orange juice in my fridge. You know, the sweet, non-mandarin variety.

Ingredients:
2 cups orange juice
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
Method:
1.      Combine all the ingredients.
2.      Whisk vigorously till sugar is dissolved or blend rill sugar is dissolved.
3.      Now, there are two methods you can follow.
4.      Either churn the mixture in your ice cream makers

OR

5.      Pour it into a ziplock bag and prepare a larger ziplock bag with the following mixture:
1 cup salt
5-6 cups of crushed ice
6.      Place the smaller ziplock bag in the bigger ziplock bag,
7.      Shaker vigorously for 10-15 minutes, or until the mixture has achieved ice cream consistency. You’ll want to do this with some form of cover for your hands because it can get really cold.
8.      When it becomes too stiff to shake, massage it instead.
9.      Transfer into a freezer safe container and freeze till ready to eat.

Note: For the second method, you may want to do it in smaller batches if you don’t have big ziplock bags.


12 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing at The Weekend Retreat, hope to see you back on Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. will do! thanks for the amazing party :)

      Delete
  2. Wow I will so try this! Are there any tips you can give?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best tip i can give is to use the best, freshest oranges to have to freshly squeeze juice!

      Delete
  3. I loved the recipe! Thanks for sharing. I`ll certainly do this wknd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear! if you need any help just let me know :)

      Delete
  4. Really amazing blog, I’d love to discover some extra information. shave ice syrup

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried out the recipe, it is still freezing right now, but I am hoping it turns out good! I bet it will! Thanks for the recipe! And i can now have dairy-free "ice cream" whenever I want! (I'm allergic to milk) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Do let me know how it turns out :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...