Singapore Blog Awards!

Hi everyone!

First of all, thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog and this message.

I'M ONE OF THE FINALISTS FOR THE SINGAPORE BLOG AWARDS

under the Advertiser's Choice, best cooking blog category :) It would be fantastic if you all could spare me a few minutes everyday to just vote for me at this link:


Yup yup, you can vote everyday and don't worry, it's perfectly secure. You don't have to be Singaporean to vote, so my dear readers from overseas, you can participate too!

Thanks guys :))

Monday, January 27, 2014

Beer Ice Cream

You’re seeing yet another beer recipe.

I’m not turning into an alcoholic, don’t worry. I was just smitten with the flavor produced in the Buttery Honey Beer Bread I made previously.


So why ice cream? Of all things, why ice cream?

I know, it’s the new year and it’s still January. For some of you, it’s winter. No one is really craving for ice cream now, right? But here’s to not caring about who is craving what because I just had to most intriguing workshop on ice cream in school.


I had signed up with some doubt, because this is, after all, a school. The ice cream workshop would have to have some element of science in it (and I’m a failure at science ><). And one more thing: how would we make ice cream without an ice cream maker?

The teacher introduced a more ‘primitive’ method of making ice cream: salt and ice. That takes the ice’s temperature all the way down to negative 20 degrees Celsius. I couldn’t believe I’d never come across it and had to deprive myself of ice cream when my ice cream maker broke down.


We covered a few other aspects of ice cream making, such as the effects of sugar, fat and guar gum (a commercial additive) on ice cream.

I went home inspired and awed.

And I made this.

Ingredients:
1 cup / 240ml beer

2 cups / 470g cream
1 cup / 240g milk
½ cup / 100g sugar

Method:
1.      Pour out a cup of beer and let it sit uncovered for an hour to two hours. This lets the bubbles dissipate.
2.      Whisk together beer, cream, milk and sugar.
3.      Now, there are two methods you can follow.
4.      Either churn the mixture in your ice cream makers

OR

5.      Pour it into a ziplock bag and prepare a larger ziplock bag with the following mixture:
1 cup salt
5-6 cups of crushed ice
6.      Place the smaller ziplock bag in the bigger ziplock bag,
7.      Shaker vigorously for 10-15 minutes, or until the mixture has achieved ice cream consistency. You’ll want to do this with some form of cover for your hands because it can get really cold.
8.      When it becomes too stiff to shake, massage it instead.
9.      Transfer into a freezer safe container and freeze till ready to eat.


12 comments:

  1. Oh my! I love this idea! I have made lots of homemade ice creams, but never a beer one. ;)
    Thank you for sharing at Marvelous Mondays this week- pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds intriguing! there is an ice cream place in Austin that makes Guinness ice cream - it's pretty good. I had no idea I could make it myself - might have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I've never been to Austin, but its on my list now!

      Delete
  3. The kids and I love using the zip lock method to make ice cream in the summer. Thanks for sharing at Simple Supper Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Notbad! Beer head here...had to come. Visiting from frugal friday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! If you love beer then this is another way to have it :)

      Delete
  5. Whoa! I had to tell my hubby about this! What fun! Thanks for sharing at Two Cup Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha does he love beer? Glad you like it :)

      Delete
  6. I made this using angry orchard cinful cider beer... and added some diced baked apples...so delicious! !

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...