Singapore Blog Awards!

Hi everyone!

First of all, thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog and this message.

I'M ONE OF THE FINALISTS FOR THE SINGAPORE BLOG AWARDS

under the Advertiser's Choice, best cooking blog category :) It would be fantastic if you all could spare me a few minutes everyday to just vote for me at this link:


Yup yup, you can vote everyday and don't worry, it's perfectly secure. You don't have to be Singaporean to vote, so my dear readers from overseas, you can participate too!

Thanks guys :))

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Whiskey Black Forest Cake

I think I'm no good at this writing thing.

I sat down 3 hours ago to start this post but I couldn't get even 3 lines out before it started to sound like forced gibberish. If only I was mad as a hatter, then I'd be spouting words left right centre for you to read.


But then again, is it really necessary? Looking at this cake, I think it really isn't. There's nothing much you can't tell from the pictures, of course, other than the fact that its soaked with whiskey. And of course, that its a black forest cake. But that's already in the title.

You could probably tell that I tried really hard to get that beautiful mess style of frosting. And ultimately failed.


You could probably tell that it was raining the day I took the photos.


And you could probably tell that I couldn't wait to dig in.


Who could resist a moist, drunken black forest cake, littered with cherries and caked with whipped cream?

I can't.

Ingredients:
Cherries
315g pitted fresh or frozen cherries
30g sugar
120g water

120g whiskey

Chocolate Cake
2 eggs
220g buttermilk
70g vegetable oil
205g milk
1 tbsp vanilla extract

220g flour
90g cocoa powder
3g or 1 tsp baking powder
7g or 2 tsp baking soda
6g or 1 tsp kosher salt

Chocolate Filling
20g chocolate
20g butter
200g cream, whipped to stiff peaks

Frosting
125g cream, whipped to stiff peaks

Method:
Cherries
1. Stir together cherries and sugar. Allow to rest for 20 minutes, or until the cherries have released their juices. Add water and cherries into a pot and simmer for 30 minutes.

2. Drain then top with whiskey and allow to soak for 2 hours. Then, drain them and reserve the whiskey.

Chocolate Cake
1. Whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, vegetable oil, milk and vanilla extract.

2. Soft over the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

3. Stir in till well mixed.

4. Pour onto a  baking tray (mine was quite big, about 30 inches by 17 inches) lined with greased parchment or silicone paper and bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 15-18 minutes, till a skewer poked in the centre comes out clean.

OR

Pour into a greased 8 inch round baking tin and bake for 35-40 minutes, until a skewer poked in the centre comes out clean.

5. If using the first method, stamp out 3 8-inch circles of cake and allow to cool on a wire rack. If using the second method, allow to cool then cut into 3 slices, removing the dome if necessary.

Filling
6. Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler.

7. Fold in whipped cream. You should get a stiff chocolate cream.

Assembly
8. Once the cake is cool, you will assemble it. Place the base layer on a cake base.

9. Brush over the reserved whiskey.

10. Spread half the chocolate filling onto the cake.

11. Place half the cherries on the filling evenly.

12. Place the top slice of cake on top and repeat steps 9 to 11.

13. Place the middle slice on top.

14. Use the whipped cream to frost the cake as desired. I recommend applying a crumb coat, freezing, then applying another coat however your wish.

Like Little Accidents in the Kitchen on Facebook and I will like you if you do =)
Follow me on twitter for updates and some odd bits of me.
Follow me on instagram to see snapshots of everything and anything (and updates!)
Follow me on pinterest if you desire an overload of deliciousness.

Any other social media you'd like to see me on?

15 comments:

  1. oh this looks so good omg. and you did get the carelessly messy, tufted effect! it looks beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Spent a whole lot of time on it haha...

      Delete
  2. whiskey sounds like a great addition. it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joey,
    This is a fantastic cake that we will just love! Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness this looks good! I'm a new fan and would love for you to come share this idea on my From the Farm Blog Hop this week:
    http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2013/11/from-farm-blog-hop-and-4-natural-sore.html
    Lisa
    Fresh Eggs Daily

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous cake! Thanks for linking up with What's Cookin' Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow….Amazing cake !!!! these cake look very delicious .Online cake shops offer their customers a full series of choices to buy the cake. I would like to buy black forest cakefor my near and dear ones as its time saving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do orders for Singapore customers only though, sorry

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...