Singapore Blog Awards!

Hi everyone!

First of all, thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog and this message.

I'M ONE OF THE FINALISTS FOR THE SINGAPORE BLOG AWARDS

under the Advertiser's Choice, best cooking blog category :) It would be fantastic if you all could spare me a few minutes everyday to just vote for me at this link:


Yup yup, you can vote everyday and don't worry, it's perfectly secure. You don't have to be Singaporean to vote, so my dear readers from overseas, you can participate too!

Thanks guys :))

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Almond Red Currant Cupcakes

Yesterday was my birthday! Ok, it's not related to this post, but I just had to tell yolu because something amazing happened :) Those of you who saw me yesterday would know that I was ridiculously happy despite the mildy uncertain English essay, the overly screwed up biology paper, and the extremely tired ending of a physics paper. So what happened?


Well... my almond meyer lemon tart was feature in the Kitchn's Delicious Links!


Alright. It's not a big deal. But hey, whoever submitted my post, if you're reading this, I just want to let you know that you made my day =)

Okay, back to the point of this post. These cupcakes. These red currant almond cupcakes.


I'm sorry. I've been procrastinating. So much. I actually made these on the 26th of April and only wrote the post today. I also have cookies, pudding, cheesecake and muffins to share with you. Posting only 3 or 4 times a week makes it mush easier for me to balance my school work, judo and blogging. But I promise I'll try not to procrastinate!


Anyway, the context of these cookies: simply a sale at Isetan. I walked in and wow, so many different produce that I'd never seen before. Endives, different multi-coloured tomatoes and currants! Fresh, plump red currants! I couldn't help it. I bought a box and of course, I had to do something with it.

These gorgeous little cupcakes are the product of that inspiration.


To be honest, I had no idea how to pair the currants with anything. They were sour, though not unpleasant. Unlike blueberries, I couldn't just plonk them into a sweet, plain muffin. Or cupcake for that matter. There had to be something to complement their unique tang.


I found a recipe on A Cup of Sugar A Pinch of Salt, which paired the red currants with almond. Not knowing at all what to expect, I gave it a try and this was what I got.


Cupcakes with a fragrance from the almonds and amaretto. And a little interest from the slightly sour currants. Frosted with a light, buttery cooked flour vanilla frosting, they're not too heavy and are simply perfect with a warm cup of tea. Chamomile, if I may suggest.

Oh, and I topped them with a gooseberry each, but that's completely optional.

Almond Red Currant Cupcakes
Ingredients:
43g plain flour
33g almond meal
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 tbsp amaretto

1/3 cup granulated sugar
56g unsalted butter, softened

1 egg

50g red currants
1 tbsp flour

Method:
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Whisk together flour, almond meal, baking powder and salt.

2. In another bowl, whisk together milk, almond extract and amaretto.

3. Cream the sugar and butter till light and fluffy. Beat in the egg.

4. Then, alternatingly beat in the flour mixture and the milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour. (Flour, milk, flour, milk, flour)

5. Toss the red currants in flour and stir them into the batter.

6. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 15 to 17 minutes, until a skewer poked in the centre comes out clean.

7. Let cool completely on a wire rack.

Cooked Flour Vanilla Frosting
Ingredients:
1/5 tbsp flour
1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup castor sugar
113g butter

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Method:
1. Whisk together milk and flour and cook over medium low heat till the mixture thickens to a thin paste. Set aside to cool completely.

2. Cream butter and castor sugar till light and fluffy.

3. Pour the cooled flour paste into the creamed butter and beat till completely incorporated and the sugar crystals have dissolved.

4. Beat in vanilla essence.

5. Frost cupcakes as desired and top with gooseberries.

Cupcake adapted from: http://www.cupofsugarpinchofsalt.com/2012/07/30/amaretti-cakes/
Frosting adapted from: http://leelabeanbakes.com/blog/frosting-filling/cooked-flour-frosting/

6 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...