Friday, May 3, 2013

Almond Meyer Lemon Tart

Finding meyer lemons in Singapore is like having snow in the desert. I'm not even kidding. Snow is rare in the dessert (what is my mind coming to?) desert, right? If any at all.


In my whole (almost) 16 years of life, I have never seen a meyer lemon. Well, other than the pictures other bloggers post during the meyer lemon season. Yes, that was a very sad season for me. Everyone's posting meyer lemon this and meyer lemon that. Everyone's talking about how the great meyer lemon and those treats are so amazing. All while I'm sitting at my computer, salivating and lamenting the non existence of meyer lemons in Singapore.


Then finally, I find some. Just by chance I decided to take a stroll around the Cold Storage at Chancery Court. Well, actually, I was there looking for Bob's Red Mill's 13 Bean Soup Mix. They didn't have it. But hey! They had meyer lemons =) I was so shocked when I saw them there. My mind ran through the possibilities, what I could make and do with these gorgeous beauties. There were only 3 bags, and I snatched up 2. Because I was worried that there wouldn't be any left the next time. But now they're in every Cold Storage, I think.


So, with the 2 bags of meyer lemons and a block of halloumi cheese (unrelated but yes! The things I found that day =) haha), I brisk walked back home, eager to get baking.


I had seen a beautiful macadamia and meyer lemon tart on Love and Olive Oil and I really wanted to make that. But as chance would have it, the cost of the meyer lemons left me with insufficient money to buy macadamia nuts. So I went with almond meal instead. I made a crust of almond shortcrust pastry and baked it with a filling of meyer lemon curd.


Love and Olive Oil's recipe adds cream to the curd, but I forgot. Yes, I forgot. It wasn't some stroke of genius telling me that the pie would be better without cream. I just forgot. But it turned out perfect all the same.

It's silky smooth, thanks to cooking it over low heat and straining it. The flavour is breathtaking. Literally. There's the subtle fragrance of mandarin oranges along with a pleasant tang of lemons. I guess that's the meyer lemon flavour. That's a flavour I'd want to incorporate into many baked goods and desserts.


You can look forward to another meyer lemon recipe, probably some form of custard or pudding. Oh, and you can also look froward to a halloumi recipe :)

Almond Meyer Lemon Tart
For Crust:
50g almond meal
128g flour
1/3 cup powdered sugar
116g unsalted butter, grated and frozen
1 tablespoon cold water
For Filling:
7 large egg yolks
2 large eggs
150g sugar
1/2 cup grated fresh Meyer lemon zest (from 4 to 5 lemons)
2/3 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice (from 4 to 5 lemons)
Pinch salt
56g unsalted butter, cut into pieces
Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees celsius. Sift together almond meal, flour and powdered sugar.
2. Cut in butter till the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Mix in the cold water until it's moistened and the mixture holds when you press it gently.
4. Press into a greased 9 inch round tart pan firmly.
5. Bake for 11 to 13 minutes until the edges are lightly golden.  Let cool on a wire rack as you prepare the filling.
6. In a saucepan, whisk together egg yolks and eggs. Whisk in sugar, then the lemon zest, juice and salt.
7. Add butter and cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly until the mixture has thickened and reached about 75 degrees Celsius.
8. Pour the mixture through a fine mesh sieve.
9. Pour the filling into the cooled tart shell and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes, until the filling is shiny and opaque. The centre will jiggle slightly when shaken. 
10. Let it cool completely, about 1 to 1 and a half hours, then refrigerate until ready to serve.

Adapted from: Love and Olive Oil -Meyer Lemon Macadamia Nut Tart

18 comments:

  1. wow! The color is incredible!! Hello from Hong Kong :o)
    Emily @ Nap-timecreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious!

    I would love for you to link up to my TGIF Link Party! Who knows, you just might be featured next week!

    http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/2013/05/a-peek-into-my-paradise-tgif-link-party.html

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so beautiful! There is a meyer lemon tree growing in my grandma's backyard, so I'm gonna get over there and pick some just for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your grandma is really fortunate haha :) do tell me how they turn out!

      Delete
  4. Your pie looks so delicious, I love how fresh and sunny it looks! I'm envious of you being able to find meyer lemons, I still haven't come across them in the UK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll find them one day ^^

      Delete
  5. Such beautiful photos, I am bookmarking the pie crust recipe - it is so difficult to find a good almond crust!
    from your new follower em x

    ReplyDelete
  6. How vibrant & lovely! I bet this tastes fab :) I followe you here from the link party at Simply Sweet Home. Also, I’d like to invite you to come link up with me at my link party! I’d love it if you could stop by & link up some of your recipes! Here's the link: http://anyonitanibbles.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/Tasty-Tuesdays-8-features-ad.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore Meyer Lemon and your tart looks just gorgeous. I didn't know Meyer Lemons are rare in Singapore. I'm glad you finally got some on hand. ;) I have a few Meyer Lemons recipes that I always make (My in-laws have a Meyer Lemon tree in their garden and they have fruit all year round). I've gotta try out this tart next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your in-laws are so lucky! I wish I had a meyer lemon tree (or any tree) for that matter. Do let me know how it turns out :D

      Delete
  8. HAHAHAHA... Meyer lemon this and Meyer lemon that! This is exactly how I felt for months. And just like you, I finally got my hands into Meyer lemons. My husband and I were eating Meyer lemon this and that for a whole week and a half. My husband is really tired and scared to hear about Meyer lemons now. Hopefully, he will be ok when the season returns next year.
    By the way, I love the color of your tart. It is very pretty and much better looking than a lemon tart. I am saving your recipe for later. You know I can't make anything Meyer lemon now. My husband will really hate me. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I've been making meyer lemon desserts for weeks! My family's quite sick of it already too.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...