Singapore Blog Awards!

Hi everyone!

First of all, thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog and this message.

I'M ONE OF THE FINALISTS FOR THE SINGAPORE BLOG AWARDS

under the Advertiser's Choice, best cooking blog category :) It would be fantastic if you all could spare me a few minutes everyday to just vote for me at this link:


Yup yup, you can vote everyday and don't worry, it's perfectly secure. You don't have to be Singaporean to vote, so my dear readers from overseas, you can participate too!

Thanks guys :))

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Pretzel Coverered Caramel Apples

Hello~ I'm back! Once again, no, I didn't die. And no, I didn't lose my love for blogging and, heaven forbid, food. Those of you who have been following might know the past 3 days were the individuals for National Schools. To be honest, I'm still a little sad.


No matter. Because now that its over (well, not quite. Another competition this Sunday) , I finally have time to bake and blog again! But you know, competition ending also means school returning. Ah, the mountains of work that greet me upon arrival. Not fun.



Besides that, I've never had a caramel apple my whole life. I'm not kidding. They don't sell them in Singapore, I think. Although its not halloween (it's eaten during halloween, right?) I'm just a little curious as it what it tastes like. Tart, juicy apples with sweet, sticky caramel? That has got to be amazing.

But when I took a bit of plain caramel apple, I wasn't too impressed. It was alright. But maybe that's just me.



So I added something of my own.

Pretzels.

I think you'd know I'm crazy over sweet and salty combinations. Its simply amazing! Its like something to excite your tastebuds after eating somewhat level flavours.



The pretzels add a little texture, along with just the right balance of salty to contrast the sweet caramel. And they just look so pretty.

I might not be going crazy over caramel apples, but add some pretzels and I just can't stop eating them.


Ingredients:
6 apples
6 skewers

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup honey

1 cup milk
56g butter

1/2 tsp salt

About 100g pretzels, roughly crushed and placed in a bowl

Method:
1. Wash the apples and pat them dry thoroughly. Any moisture will prevent the caramel from sticking properly. Push a skewer into each from the top
.
2. Combine sugar, water and honey in a large saucepan and bring to a boil stirring frequently. Continue cooking the syrup till its a deep golden colour.

3. Meanwhile combine milk and butter in another saucepan and heat gently, stirring till butter is completely melted.

4. Once the syrup is a deep golden, pour in the milk and butter mixture. It will bubble up vigorously. Stir till the bubbles subside, then stir in the salt.

5. Attach a candy thermometer and continue cooking the syrup, stirring frequently till it reaches 126 degrees Celsius.

6. Pour the mixture into a smaller saucepan or bowl to make it easier to dip. I like using a saucepan so that if the caramel thickens too much I can just heat it up to thin it out again. Stir till it thickens slightly.

7. Dip one apple, swirling to coat. Then, quickly dip into the crushed pretzels, rolling to coat. Place on parchment paper to allow caramel to cool and harden. Repeat with the remaining apples.

#####


I'm submitting this to this month's Behind the Curtain Dessert Challenge by Lady Behind the Curtain

Lady Behind the Curtain Dessert Challenge

8 comments:

  1. Your apples look divine. I love the caramel recipe with the honey too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've always used honey because I don't have corn syrup haha

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you finally had your first caramel apple! And adding pretzels was genius! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad too! thank you :D

      Delete
    2. This is exactly what I was looking for. That is very interesting Smile I love reading and I am always searching for informative information like this!

      Delete
    3. Glad you found what you were looking for!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...