Friday, March 22, 2013

Salmon & Cheese Pop tarts

You see, I made these the first night of training camp. Pop tarts won over going to the pool to relax my muscles. A decision I would soon regret and not regret.


I woke up to a aching muscles. Even climbing up the stairs to the dojo was tiring and that was only one storey. Then there was warm up: running. I shan't bore you with more stories of the aching muscles. At least I had some gorgeous pop tarts to make up for it.


To be honest, I've never had a pop tart before. Not once in my entire life. And I wasn't planning on ever buying one even though they looked so appealing on the supermarket shelves. Yes, every single time I go to the supermarket, I will inevitably walk past the snacks and candies section accidentally on purpose. That goes for the baking section as well. And the fruits. And the dairy. You get my point.


Anyway. The pop tarts. I won't be able to tell you if these are exactly like pop tarts in terms of the pastry. But I followed Smitten Kitchen's recipe for the pastry almost exactly, so it should be, right?


The pastry turned out brilliantly. If I had to describe it, I'd say it's like a really thin biscuits. Flaky and golden outside, soft and light inside. Just really thin. And, of course, amazing.


Oh gosh. I just visited the original pop tart's website. What can I say? My pop tarts really aren't pop tarts, at least they aren't in shape. Pop tarts are supposed to be flat, toaster pastries huh. Well, nevermind. My toast isn't a thin toaster. Perhaps I should call these salmon and cheese pockets?


Putting aside its nonexistent authenticity, these are absolutely amazing. The soft, flaking pastry... The gooey, melty insides... The perfectly cooked salmon... Do I have to say more? And just so you know, these are way healthier than pop tarts.

makes 12
Ingredients:
Pastry
128g wholewheat flour
128g plain flour
1/2 tsp salt

227g butter, grated and frozen

1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp milk

1 egg, beaten

Filling
12 tbsp smoked salmon or fresh salmon, chopped into bits
12 tbsp mozzarella cheese, shredded

Method:
1. Sift together wholewheat flour, plain flour and salt.

2. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

3. Gently stir in the 1 egg and milk until the mixture is all just wet. Then turn it out onto a floured working surface and knead it a couple of times. Do not overwork the dough.

4. Divide the dough in half. Chill one while you're working with the other. The dough can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.

5. Roll out the dough into 1/8 inch thickness. Then cut 2.5x3 inch rectangles from it. You could cut bigger ones, and you'll have less poptarts.

6. Place half of the rectangles onto a baking sheet and brush them with egg. The egg acts as a glue to bind it to the top piece later on.

7. Top the rectangles with 1 tbsp of salmon and 1 tbsp of mozzarella. Then place another rectangle of dough (that doesn't have egg on it) on it.

8. Use your fingers to press the edges together to seal them.

9. Using the tines of a fork, press the sides to create patterns like what I did.

10. Prick the top multiple times to allow steam to escape during baking.

11. Brush the pastries with egg wash, then chill them while you preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.

12. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown.

13. Eat hot!

Note: if your dough becomes too soft to work with, just put it in the freezer for a few minutes to let it firm up. I had mine in and out of the freezer every 10 minutes because Singapore is just so so hot.

Adapted from: Smitten Kitchen's homemade pop tarts

14 comments:

  1. These sound so delicious! I love pop tarts, and this just sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hihi, I am a student who bakes too. Your blog is so pretty and I love your pics! Keep on baking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopped over here from Friday Favorites. Savory pop tarts, who'd've thought? They look delicious! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, savory pop tarts - yum! I love the combination of salmon and mozzarella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. salmon and cheese are always perfect :D

      Delete
  5. These look amazing! I never thought about putting salmon in a pop tart. I love salmon- so I'm sure it's delicious. Thank you for sharing at our link party!

    Melissa
    redflycreations(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting a great party!

      Delete
  6. Savory tarts, puffed, popped, or otherwise they look delicious. You did great! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe with Foodie Friends Friday.

    Joanne/Winelady Cooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment! Great party :D

      Delete
  7. They look so good! Thanks for sharing with Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...