Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Forgotten Brown Butter Cake with Bourbon Glaze

If this isn't a genius recipe, I don't know what it is.

I always go home, wanting to bake a cake, but not having enough time to do so. Sure, I can whip it together under 30 minutes, but waiting that 1 hour for it to bake is what makes it impossible. I simply cannot wait the 1 hour, then wait another hour for it to cool before I can cover it and keep it.


Then I had an epiphany. Oh yes, I could bake a cake at night, coming home at 8 and sleeping at 10.Why? This cake doesn't take an hour to bake and an hour to cool. It takes 8 hours to bake and cool.

What? Why so long?


Obviously so that I can sleep easy, smell cake in my dreams and wake up to a perfectly baked cake.

Do you believe it? I started this batter at 8.30pm, popped it into the oven at 9.30pm and ate cake at 5.30am. How exactly does it work?


I searched for a really long time to find a recipe that took 8 hours of baking, because that's about how long I'll sleep. But I just couldn't find one. Even the slow cooker recipes maxed out at about 4 hours. So I decided to craft my own.


I believe most of you are pretty familiar with forgotten cookies. Those cute little cookies take less than 15 minutes to prepare and just like this cake, is left in the oven overnight and is ready the next morning. With no concern of overbaking even if you over sleep!


This cake uses the same concept. Preheat your oven, put the cake in and turn it off. Then just go to bed and harvest your cake the next morning. The residual heat cooks the cake through slowly and allows it to rise high like normal cakes.


I picked a brown butter cake because I'm just addicted to the aroma of brown butter, but I'm guessing it would work with most other cake batters as well. So go ahead and try it out with chocolate cakes, white cakes, anything at all! And let me know how they turn out!

Forgotten Brown Butter Cake
Ingredients:
113g butter

350g plain flour
50g corn starch
*or just use 400g cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

113g butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup dark brown sugar

3 tsp vanilla essence

1 1/2 cups milk

Method:
1. Preheat your oven to 210 degrees Celsius.

1. Brown 113g of butter on low heat until it smells nutty and has turned to a light brown. Then put it in the freezer for 15 minutes, until the sides start to solidify a little.

2. Sift together plain flour, corn starch, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

3. Cream 113g of butter and sugar until well combined. It won't be fluffy.

4. Whisk in the browned butter, including the toasty bits that are solid, and vanilla essence.

5. Alternatingly whisk in the flour and milk, in 5 separate additions.

6. Pour into 2 9-inch round cake tins, or an 2 8x8 inch baking pans, or 3 8-inch bundt pans or 3 6-inch round cake tins. Ensure that cake tins have been well buttered and floured.

7. Place the tins/pans in the preheated oven, close the door and turn off the heat. Leave cakes in the oven for  about 6 to 8 hours, or until the oven has cooled completely.

*Note: Different ovens cool at different rates, so you might have to increase or decrease the starting temperature to suit your oven.

Bourbon Glaze
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup icing sugar
2 tbsp bourbon
2 tbsp milk

Method:
1. Whisk all together till completely smooth.

2. Pour over cake.

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...