Singapore Blog Awards!

Hi everyone!

First of all, thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog and this message.

I'M ONE OF THE FINALISTS FOR THE SINGAPORE BLOG AWARDS

under the Advertiser's Choice, best cooking blog category :) It would be fantastic if you all could spare me a few minutes everyday to just vote for me at this link:


Yup yup, you can vote everyday and don't worry, it's perfectly secure. You don't have to be Singaporean to vote, so my dear readers from overseas, you can participate too!

Thanks guys :))

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Word of the day: Mulligatawny

Mulligatawny mulligatawny mulligatawny~

I could sing this word all day long. Really, the name of this tangy, spicy soup is really fun to speak. And I'd be lying if I said the main reason I made this wasn't to just to go around saying it's name.


But that's not the point. It's chinese new year's eve and we all know that means tomorrow is the start of some serious pigging out. Or has it already started? Oops. So let me fix you up with something healthy today. Also, from tomorrow onwards it's going to be all chinese food while I'm visiting relatives and friends. So let's not have anything chinese today, okay?



I don't have anything against chinese food. It's warm and homely, but today I want some spice. I want some tang. I want some...

MULLIGATAWNY~


I just wanted to say that.

This is a super simple and healthy recipe. It's a little time consuming, but no serious work is involved because most of the time you'll just be sitting at a side doing whatever you want while the soup simmers.


It's a short post today, I've got to rush for training then to my aunt's house for reunion dinner. Enjoy!

Mulligatawny with Chicken
Adapted from The Kitchn's Tangy Mulligatawny with Turkey
Ingredients:
1 onion (about 130g)
about 1 inch of fresh ginger (about 15g)
2 garlic cloves

1 small knob of butter

2 cups chicken stock
3 cups water

2 pieces of chicken breast (about 200g-300g in total)

1 apple

1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp ground cumin or 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper

1 small knob of butter

1 tsp salt
juice of 1 lime
zest of 1 lime

paprika or yoghurt, to serve (optional)

Method:
1. Dice the onion finely. Peel and slice ginger thinly. Mince garlic.

2. Melt a small knob of butter in a 2 quart pot. Add half the diced onion, all the ginger and garlic and cook till onions are soft and fragrant, about 3 minutes.

3. Add chicken stock, water and chicken breast. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Cover and cook at a gentle simmer for 1 to 2 hours.

4. After at least an hour of simmering, roughly chop the apple. Stir in chopped apple and spices, cover and simmer for another 30 minutes.

5. Turn off the heat and remove chicken breasts. Roughly chop the chicken breasts.

6. Melt a small knob of butter in a pan. Add the onions and cook till soft and fragrant. Add chicken and saute till lightly browned.

7. Add the onions and chicken back to the soup. Stir in 1 tsp salt and lime juice.

8. Simmer for another 10 minutes, until heated through.

9. Serve with a dusting of paprika or a dollop of yoghurt (for a little creaminess)

#####


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...