Singapore Blog Awards!

Hi everyone!

First of all, thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog and this message.

I'M ONE OF THE FINALISTS FOR THE SINGAPORE BLOG AWARDS

under the Advertiser's Choice, best cooking blog category :) It would be fantastic if you all could spare me a few minutes everyday to just vote for me at this link:


Yup yup, you can vote everyday and don't worry, it's perfectly secure. You don't have to be Singaporean to vote, so my dear readers from overseas, you can participate too!

Thanks guys :))

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Let's be healthy with a bright colourful salad

Let's lay off the unhealthy stuff for a while okay? Let's take a healthy salad for lunch today okay?


I got the shock of my life this morning. I just gained 3kg in 3 days. Yep, someone just went from being 1.5kg under her weight category to 1.5kg over her weight category. Seriously, I don't even gain so much weight during Christmas or on vacation. Uh, my conclusion? Chinese New Year goodies are the worst of them all. Super tasty, but super super fattening.



So now, I'll take back everything I said about being able to indulge for the 15 days of Chinese New Year. That's over. I have to lose weight.

Let's just say this blog is going to take a slight detour for a while. I've had more than my fair share of sweet treats the past 3 days. I've also had more than my fair share of rendang, nasi lemak, sambal prawns and otah. Enough with the heavy, decadent and stomach-bloating nonsense. What I need today is a light, refreshing salad.


I need it to be healthy and hearty. And of course, it has to be full of flavour.

Let's see... there's a reasonable amount of greens. There's a beautiful red from the tomatoes (antioxidants!). There's creamy chickpeas (yay for fiber and taste!). There's quinoa (packed with proteins!). There's pple balsamic vinegar for a light, fruity flavour. And olive oil and crumbly, rich feta cheese (healthy fat!).


Quite perfect, I think. You know, this would be perfect as an entree as well. Just wrap it up with the butterhead lettuce and serve each guest one.

Chopped salad with quinoa and feta
(serves 1)
Ingredients:
1/4 cup quinoa
1/2 cup boiling water

1/2 cup chopped cucumber
1/2 cup chopped cherry tomato
1/4 cup chickpeas
1 tsp of fresh parsley, chopped

2 tsp honey
1 tsp apple balsamic vinegar
1 tsp olive oil

10 leaves of butterhead lettuce

30g crumbled feta cheese

Method:
1. Combine quinoa and water and simmer for about 18 minutes till it reaches desired consistency.

2. Combine cucumber, tomatoes chickpeas and parsley.

3. Stir together honey, apple balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Drizzle over vegetables and toss to combine.

4. Spoon mixture into lettuce leaves, top with feta cheese and enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. This is my kind of salad. I eat quinoa quite often and am always, always looking for new ways to include it in my lunches and dinners! I love eating healthy, colorful foods - it makes me feel not so bad when I have a cookie or two. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yup, the colours make it so much more appealing, doesn't it? Always having a whole plate of greens in front of me gets kind of bring

      Delete
  2. yummy! looks so fresh! Thanks for linking up to Tasteful Tuesdays at Nap-Time Creations. Just wanted to let you know that I just opened a shabby apply $50 giveaway and would love for you to get chance to enter!
    http://www.nap-timecreations.com/2013/02/blog-birthday-week-shabby-apple-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is really fresh! that looks like a really fantastic giveaway. Pity I'm not in the US

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...