Singapore Blog Awards!

Hi everyone!

First of all, thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog and this message.

I'M ONE OF THE FINALISTS FOR THE SINGAPORE BLOG AWARDS

under the Advertiser's Choice, best cooking blog category :) It would be fantastic if you all could spare me a few minutes everyday to just vote for me at this link:


Yup yup, you can vote everyday and don't worry, it's perfectly secure. You don't have to be Singaporean to vote, so my dear readers from overseas, you can participate too!

Thanks guys :))

Monday, February 25, 2013

Grand Marnier Souffle

Aren't souffles the most uncooperative food stuff to photograph? There's that annoying 30 second rule. Or even less, if the souffle decides to collapse on poor old you before you know it.


The biggest debate that rages in my head whenever I make souffles: Do I serve them in all their inflated glory, or snap a picture and serve them (and my ego) deflated? Oh yes, that's the biggest question. And most of the time, I sacrifice the pride for some seriously cool photography. I promise you, this is the only time I'll trade my all important ego for a few pictures. 30 seconds worth of pictures.




But that's so worth it, isn't it? The souffles look so amazing.

I have to tell you, I'm pretty much the queen of overblown, over the top souffles. You'll hardly find me with a 'normal' looking souffle. Straight rise? Perfectly flat top? Beautiful cylindrical shape? Nah, that's just not me. It's more like poofed, crackly and so, so caramelised and golden.


I like to serve my souffles piping hot from the oven (or at least as hot as it is after the camera has it) with some super cold whipped cream, or creme anglaise. The contrast between hot and cold makes it so delectable.


You're simply going to love it. The texture of the souffle is light and moist, but the top and the sides are slightly browned and just a little crispier. Not too much, just right. Combine that with silky smooth, cold whipped cream, it's heaven.


Adapted from Food Wishes
Ingredients:
120g butter, melted
6 tbsp sugar

55g plain flour

1 cup cold milk

zest of 4 oranges
4 tbsp Grand Marnier
1 tsp vanilla extract

8 egg yolks

8 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup sugar

powdered sugar to serve
whipped cream to serve

Method:
1. Preheat your oven to 205 degrees Celsius. Brush the insides of your ramekins with some of the melted butter. Toss in the sugar and coat. Remove an excess sugar.


2. Combine the rest of the melted butter and flour in a saucepan and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring frequently until it becomes a thick, gooey rue.

3. Pour in milk and continue stirring till it thickens into a dough and starts to pull away from the pan.


4. Remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl. Stir in orange zest, Grand Marnier and vanilla extract till well combines. Then stir in the egg yolks to form a smooth batter.

5. Whisk egg whites till it holds ribbons for about 1 second.

6. Whisk in 1/2 cup of sugar till its glossy.

7. Whisk in 1/2 cup of sugar and keep whisking till you have really soft and supple peaks.


8. Fold in half the egg white mixture into the batter till just incorporated.

9. Gently, very gently fold in the rest of the egg white mixture until it's just incorporated.


10. Transfer it into ramekins, stopping about 1/4 inch from the top if you want perfectly shaped souffles.

11. Bake at 205 degrees Celsius for 13 minutes for the 8oz ramekins or 6-8 minutes for the 4 oz ramekins, until browned and puffed.

12. Sprinkle powdered sugar over and serve immediately with a dollop of super cold whipped cream

6 comments:

  1. soooooooooo pretty and definitely tempting. :D Thanks for sharing.
    p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your souffles are beautiful! makes me feel like making some for dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! How many minutes for the 4 oz ramekins?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :D oh gosh i didn't realise i forgot to include the timing. I dont quite remember but around 6 to 8 minutes should be quite safe

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...