Singapore Blog Awards!

Hi everyone!

First of all, thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog and this message.

I'M ONE OF THE FINALISTS FOR THE SINGAPORE BLOG AWARDS

under the Advertiser's Choice, best cooking blog category :) It would be fantastic if you all could spare me a few minutes everyday to just vote for me at this link:


Yup yup, you can vote everyday and don't worry, it's perfectly secure. You don't have to be Singaporean to vote, so my dear readers from overseas, you can participate too!

Thanks guys :))

Monday, February 11, 2013

For CNY's sake, let's have tang yuan

One of my best memories as a kid as to be baking with my grandfather nearing the chinese new year period. As I mentioned yesterday, he has the best kueh bangkit and quite a good pineapple tart as well. But what I remember most would be rolling balls of tang yuan into perfect spheres. That was a treat we will always get around this time. We'd go to his house and roll the balls. The next morning, he'd come over with a big bowl of sweet, delicious tang yuan.


Tang yuan are really super simple to make. Only 2 ingredienst: glutinous rice flour. Before this, it was always so simple that I didn't even bother writing down a recipe. I'd simply empty a whole packet (500g) of glutinous rice flour and add water till it all just comes together as a smooth dough. But now that I'm blogging about it, I decided to measure out the water so that you all can have a reference point.



Of course, the only part I never really enjoyed was colouring the dough. By the end of the tang yuan making session, I look like a kid who just finished art class. But there's no way I can serve plain, white only tang yuan, is there? After all, it's chinese new year, it's festive and colourful =)


Even the sugar syrup for this is super simple. But this time, the sugar syrup I made is a little different.

As a kid, all things sweet appealed to me. So the tang yuan in sugar syrup was perfect then. But nowadays, I find the sharp sweetness a little too strong. Adding a few stalks of fragrant lemongrass to the syrup cuts through the sweetness and brings a refreshing touch to this traditional dessert.


Of course, if you want to keep it simple or traditional, go ahead and make a regular sugar syrup. Just boil the water and dissolve sugar in it to your taste.


There's no longer a need for the frozen tang yuan~

Lemongrass Tang Yuan
(makes a big punchbowl)
Tang Yuan
Ingredients:
500g glutinous rice flour
400ml water

Method:
1. Mix together till well incorporated.

2. Roll into 1 inch balls.

3. Boil in water till they float up to the surface, about 2 minutes.

4. Remove from boiling water and soak in cold water immediately to stop the cooking process.

Lemongrass syrup
Ingredients:
about 2 strips of pandan leaves
about 2 to 4 sticks of lemongrass
1.5 litres of water

1/4 cup of rock sugar

Method:
1. Combine pandan leaves, lemongrass and water in a pot. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer, cover and cook for about 5 minutes.

2. Add rock sugar and boil till dissolve.

3. Drain tang yuan and pour syrup over.

4 comments:

  1. This looks so interesting & fun to make - pinning this to try out. Thanks for linking to the Craftastic Monday party at Sew Can Do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joey,

    I remember cooking tang yuen too with my grandma when I was little but not cooking them at Melbourne because my husband and I find them too much to eat for just 3 of us here... *sign*

    You added lemongrass into your syrup... this is new to me.

    Before I go, I have to say... Happy CNY!!! Wishing you best of everything for the year of snake.

    Cheers!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Chinese New Year =) all the best to you too!

      Delete
  3. Hey... sorry it's me, Zoe again. Just realised that you started Twittering. I'm now your latest Twitter follower :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...