Singapore Blog Awards!

Hi everyone!

First of all, thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog and this message.

I'M ONE OF THE FINALISTS FOR THE SINGAPORE BLOG AWARDS

under the Advertiser's Choice, best cooking blog category :) It would be fantastic if you all could spare me a few minutes everyday to just vote for me at this link:


Yup yup, you can vote everyday and don't worry, it's perfectly secure. You don't have to be Singaporean to vote, so my dear readers from overseas, you can participate too!

Thanks guys :))

Friday, February 15, 2013

A Hot Valentine's Treat, Red Velvet Cream Cheese Rum Balls

Remember the red velvet cream cheese brownies yesterday? Well, I'm sure you're going to feel so awful about wasting the scraps at the side from cutting out pretty hearts JUST for valentine's day. So I have a solution.


Of course, this isn't just to save the scraps. How touched will your valentine be the next day if you follow up those gorgeous red velvet cream cheese swirl brownies with another beautiful twist on a classic cookie?

You're so going to get lots of...



...

...

Compliments =)


Haha what did you think I was going to say? ;)

Anyway, the forecast for today is a little wet. Very very wet actually. I had to wait for 2 hours before the rain stopped so I could go out to the balcony and snap a few pictures of this for you today.


I pretty much celebrated Valentine's Day today even though it's the 15th of February and not the 14th because I was stuck with training and my brother's birthday yesterday. Well, one day late isn't any harm, especially if you've got these red velvet cream cheese rum balls.


I swear these's cookies (though they're more like a candy made of cake and chocolate) are little balls of fire hazards. These aren't a cookie for kids and take me seriously when I say that, because rum balls are meant to be boozy.


It's not the first time I'm making rum balls, but it is the first time I'm making them with red velvet and cream cheese. It really does give it a different and aphrodisiac taste. Okay, aphrodisiac might be a bit of a stretch in a describing them, but they really are good.


The red velvet gives the rum balls a sweet mild chocolate flavour and the addition of cream cheese makes it oh so smooth and creamy. The rum adds just the perfect amount of heat without burning away your throat. And the best part has to be the chocolate coating. Besides the slight but pleasant bitterness it adds the these rum balls, the crunch gives it an interesting texture to contrast the soft interior.


Really, if my boyfriend had two of these, it must be really good, because he normally doesn't even take half a piece of what I make.

Adapted from Food Wishes' Rum Ball
(makes about 30)
Ingredients:
200g red velvet cream cheese brownie scraps
1/3 cup dark rum

150g dark chocolate, chopped

50g dark chocolate, chopped finely

Method:
1. Crumble red velvet brownie scraps finely.

2. Stir in dark rum until very well mixed. It'll be a rough, thick, red paste.

3. Scoop them out with a small cookie scoop (abotu 2 tablespoons) onto a plate covered with plastic film.

4. Place in the freezer for about 20 to 30 minutes, until they're firm enough to roll.

5. Rolls them into almost perfect balls and return to the freezer.

6. Melt 150g of chocolate in a double boiler until about half of it is melted. Then turn off the heat and take the bowl of the chocolate off the heat and stir till completely melted.

7. Stir in 50g of chocolate till completely melted.

8. Take brownie balls out of the freezer. Working one at a time, coat balls in chocolate and place on a baking sheet or a plate lined with plastic film.

9. The chocolate will harden within a few minutes. Refrigerate till ready to serve.

2 comments:

  1. Great flavor combination! And they look great! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites. I'm featuring your this week!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...