Singapore Blog Awards!

Hi everyone!

First of all, thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog and this message.

I'M ONE OF THE FINALISTS FOR THE SINGAPORE BLOG AWARDS

under the Advertiser's Choice, best cooking blog category :) It would be fantastic if you all could spare me a few minutes everyday to just vote for me at this link:


Yup yup, you can vote everyday and don't worry, it's perfectly secure. You don't have to be Singaporean to vote, so my dear readers from overseas, you can participate too!

Thanks guys :))

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

When you have a giant box of blueberries....

This is what happens...



When you have giant box of blueberries~



Blueberries are absolutely lovely, aren't they? Yet it always feels like such a waste to bake with them. Why put all that perfection into a batter or a dough, when its already so perfect? Especially when blueberries cost so much here in Singapore. But today, I found this huge box of them (500g) in the supermarket for just S$4.50! That's the cheapest box of blueberries I've ever bought in 4 years. Seriously. So now I don't mind putting a whole lot into my blueberry muffins.

Still, even if the blueberries aren't on offer, or aren't cheap, it's always worth it when its these muffins. Just that I don't feel so bad about my forever shrinking allowance.


These muffins are really perfect. They're whole grain, butter free, but still soft and moist like any regular muffin. Perfect? I think so. Like my healthier matcha cupcakes, applesauce is used to replace the butter. This time, I added yoghurt and buttermilk to add to the moist texture. By the way, fee free to use entirely yoghurt or entirely buttermilk. I used a mixture of the two because I had a little of each left in my fridge.

If you're trying to stick to your new year resolutions, then bake up a batch of these, because they really are quite healthy. All the flour is wholemeal. There's only 1/4 cup of sugar. Applesauce to replace butter. The yoghurt is non-fat, and the buttermilk is low-fat. Plus, there's blueberries! Just right to fill you up and fuel you all the way to lunch ,assuming you're eating it for breakfast like me.


Oh yea, here's what's even better: because you're not using butter, these no need to cream. Meaning you don't have to use and clean a mixer for this! (Though you can cream butter by hand haha)

Adapted from Smitten Kitchen's Perfect Blueberry Muffins

Makes 9 to 10 standard muffins
Ingredients:
75g applesauce
1/4 cup sugar

1 large egg
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup buttermilk
5 tbsp honey
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest

190g wholemeal flour
1 1/2 teaspoon (7 grams or 1/4 ounce) baking powder
1/4 teaspoon (1 gram) baking soda
1/4 teaspoon (2 grams) salt

125g blueberries

Method:
1. Preheat your oven to 190°C. Line a muffin tin with 10 paper liners or grease each cup.

2. Whisk together applesauce and sugar.

3. Beat in egg, then yoghurt and honey, then the lemon zest.

4. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt over the batter.

5. Fold in until just combined.

6. Gently fold in blueberries.

7. Scoop batter into muffin tin.

8. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean. Cool in muffin tin and remove once cooled.



#####


I'm submitting this to Calendar Cakes hosted by Laura Loves Cakes (this month's host) and Dolly Bakes 

1 comment:

  1. Lovely...blueberry muffins are always a winner. That's a great punnet of blueberries for $4.50 and I love all the healthy ingredients in these too! Yum! Thanks for entering them into our Calendar Cakes challenge! :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...