Singapore Blog Awards!

Hi everyone!

First of all, thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog and this message.

I'M ONE OF THE FINALISTS FOR THE SINGAPORE BLOG AWARDS

under the Advertiser's Choice, best cooking blog category :) It would be fantastic if you all could spare me a few minutes everyday to just vote for me at this link:


Yup yup, you can vote everyday and don't worry, it's perfectly secure. You don't have to be Singaporean to vote, so my dear readers from overseas, you can participate too!

Thanks guys :))

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Cookie Epiphany - White chocolate and spices

While walking home from most interesting training I've had in a long, long time, I had an epiphany. Yes, an epiphany. And I'm not exaggerating.


It was a marvelous epiphany. 2 epiphanies actually. Both regarding cookies.

Cookie photography and cookie ingredients.


For so long, cookie photography has been bothering me. How do I photograph cookies nicely? Up till now, I still find cookies to be the hardest thing in the world to take a nice picture of. That's kind of ironic, seeing how the only photograph that I have accepted on tastespotting is a photo of my earl grey cookies.

Did you see the first photograph? That was my epiphany. I can't explain it, except to say that I realised lighter coloured cookies are a great contrast to my dark brown table.

And the ingredients...


White chocolate... yes, I've decided to join the christmas frenzy.


Hazelnuts... It's well known that chocolates go well with nuts. My initial idea was to have cranberries in the cookies, but that's kind of boring, isn't it? Everyone is making white chocolate and cranberry stuff. So I went nuts on the nuts (haha puns~), for their flavour and crunch. Hazelnut because I've run out of macadamia, but it turned out to be a good choice.


And the best part of these cookies? Spices. Nutmeg (above), cinnamon, cloves, five spice and ginger.

I'm seriously not kidding when I say that these cookies are amazing. Like absolutely AMAZING. And it's really because of the spices. They balance the rich sweetness of the white chocolate, adding another plane of flavour to these cookies: warmth. Not the temperature (that's what my brother thought), but the flavour. When I bit into these cookies, the image that came to my mind was that of sitting in front of a fireplace during winter, snuggled up in thick blankets and savouring these cookies with a glass of warm milk.


What I had hoped for initially was a cream white coloured cookie, but I realised, after mixing the batter, that the brown sugar had crushed any possibility of that. But of course, texture came before appearance for me. What I really wanted, was a soft, chewy cookie, so brown sugar it had to be.


Careful when scooping your cookie dough, or you might end up with a mountain like this :P

Out of the many ideas I've had for baking, this is really one of the best. I'm not kidding, even though I say that a lot of the time. Okay, I just outdo myself everytime ^^ (There goes my monstrous ego. Please don't feed the animal.) But really, do try these cookies; you'll love them.


White Chocolate Hazelnut Spice Cookies
(makes about 12)
Ingredients:
150g white chocolate

42g butter, softened
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs

135g flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp cloves, finely chopped
1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/8 tsp five spice
1/2 tsp preserved ginger, chopped

1/2 cup hazelnuts, chopped in half
3/4 cup white chocolate chips

Method:
1. Melt white chocolate over a double boiler, stirring frequently.


2. Cream butter and brown sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time.

3. Beat in the melted chocolate.

4. Fold in flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, five spice and preserved ginger.

5. Fold in hazelnuts and chocolate chips.


6. Scoop about 2 tablespoons of batter per cookie onto a baking sheet.


I used a sorbet scoop for this.


7. Bake at 190 degrees celsius for 10-12 minutes.

8. Rest the cookies for about 5 minutes before transferring onto a wire rack to cool till just cool enough to eat.


#####

I'll be submitting this to Tea Time Treats, by What Kate Baked (this month's host) and Lavender and Lovage



4 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for entering such yummy festive cookies into TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cookies look and sound amazing, I must try them!! I love your photography too - gorgeous. Thanks for entering AlphaBakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. White chocolate makes everything taste even more delicious - these look brilliant!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...